- What are the existing artistic, aesthetic, and pragmatic problems and barriers in encounters and practical collaboration between theatre artists from the UK and from Continental European countries?
- How can the successful translation of existing non-English European theatre work for British audiences be achieved? What steps must be taken to make these productions accessible for UK spectators with their distinct viewing habits, whilst maintaining the artistic vision and integrity of the original artistic work?
- What are the central differences in ways of working, the skillsets, and the competencies between UK- and Continental theatre artists?
- What new aesthetic, artistic and practical opportunities emerge through the cultural encounter between Continental European and British theatre artists and cultures, in particular regarding aspects of dramaturgy and mise en scène?
Theatre of Europe and The European Theatre Research Network (ETRN) at the University of Kent are pleased to have been awarded a Collaborative Doctoral Award scholarship by the Arts and Humanities Research Council (AHRC). Building collaborations and facilitating exchange between the non-English Continental European theatre world and British theatre is the central mission of both Theatre of Europe and the European Theatre Research Network (ETRN), a research centre based in the School of Arts at the University of Kent. We are very pleased to invite applications for an AHRC-funded collaborative doctoral studentship commencing on 1st October 2015. At the heart of this PhD project will be the student’s opportunity to engage and interact with Theatre of Europe‘s various ongoing projects. This includes observing, documenting, analysing and participating in Research & Development-work, rehearsals and productions, and outreach and public engagement activities. Applicants are invited to define their own research project according to their interests and competencies (especially their language skills) in response to the following framework of enquiry. We are looking for research-based PhD project proposals which address the following research questions:
- Copenhagen Research Trip
- Theatre of Europe featured in The Stage – October 2014